Monday, March 21, 2016

Daniel Bichlman of Stradalli – Bike Aid pro cycling team Cameroon Diary #3

After a relaxing rest day yesterday in touristy well developed Limbe on the coast of Cameroon we traveled with the tour entourage (with free room and board, including the driver of the Congolese national team who had accidentally missed their original arrival flight, but now they do not want to miss out).
The severe sixth stage between Mbanga and Bafanga was over 129km. From my first participation of the Tour of Cameroon in 2014 I just felt that this was the stage for me. That’s why I and the rest of the team were motivated even more to start on the offensive.
Finally, the group of the day consisted of a Moroccan and myself. Everyone who knows me knows how much I appreciate the typical North African practices. I was surprised to learn that we had a chaser and was even more surprised to learn it was my teammate Jean Bosco from Rwanda who had won the stage the day before. After we teamed up the Moroccan racer no longer wanted to work together.
To get the stage win to the team I decided to try and wear down the Moroccans by alternating attacks. I went on the attack and Jean Bosco wasn’t as fresh as the day before but I wanted to grab the bull by the horns.
All communications were difficult because Bosco is still trying to improve his English. I tried to be as aerodynamic as possible to master my Stradalli Aversa racing machine to curve the remaining 25km of the day.

Unfortunately the group got away from me before the summit of the last climb of the day. I was frustrated and just wanted to get back to the air conditioned hotel room. However, when I saw our teammate Amanuel Mengis had finished well to improve to 3rd place overall I felt better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive